Under 5 main ingredient packed lunches even the kids will love
When it comes to packing lunch, sometimes it’s the last thing on your mind, sometimes you don’t have time, and most of the time you just have no idea what on earth to pack!
There are ways around this common busy mom dilemma but before you reach for your wallet or that easy fast food option, why not try one of these simple recipes. These recipes are great for you AND the kids too.
Here are 5 main lunch recipes that require 5 or fewer ingredients.
1. The Ultimate Baked Potato
You can customize this recipe and use whatever you have in the fridge to top the baked potato, but we love the classic ham and cheese. Make this for yourself and your kids’ lunchbox and you’ll save time by not making two different lunches.
Find the recipe for The Ultimate Baked Potato in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe hub.
2. Pesto and Spinach Rolls
Instead of picking up an oily savory pastry from the bakery on your way to the school drop off, make your own healthy (and just as yummy) Pesto and Spinach Rolls! Your kids will love, love, love these packed in their lunchbox too.
Find the Pesto and Spinach Rolls recipe on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe hub.
3. Healthy Egg Sandwich
Sandwiches don’t have to be dull! Mix up your fillings by including recipes such as this, which is packed with protein to keep you fuller for longer.
Find this recipe on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe hub.
4. Ham, Pineapple and Mushroom 2-ingredient pizza
Making these easy pizzas can be so fun for your kids as well as you, as it means less cooking time and thinking about what to pack for lunch! Top with whatever you have in the fridge, and you have yourself some yummy pizza slices!
Use the two ingredient pizza dough recipe from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
5. Quick and Healthy Pesto Penne
Enjoy this for dinner and then use the leftovers for a quick and easy lunch (you might need to make a big batch to ensure there is some left!). It tastes great cold, or pack it warm in a thermos to enjoy on a chilly day.
Ingredients (serves 4 at 408 calories each)
- 3 & 1/4 cups whole wheat penne
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 4 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- Cook pasta (use a gluten-free option if required) according to package instructions until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, place garlic, extra virgin olive oil, almost all of the Parmesan (save a little to sprinkle on top when serving), spinach leaves, basil and a pinch of salt and cracked pepper in a food processor until well combined to make the pesto.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Place pasta into a pot back on the stove.
- Mix pesto into the pasta and add a bit of the pasta cooking water as needed to achieve desired sauce consistency (sauce should not be runny but more of a creamy consistency).
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and serve.
Optional – add some lemon juice if the pesto sauce isn’t combining well with the pasta.
Are you ready to become a Healthy Mommy?
Regain your body confidence with The Healthy Mommy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Our Challenge is designed by moms FOR MOMS – to help them reach their goal weight and tackle their health and fitness.
The Challenge is home to customizable meal plans, 24/7 social support and realistic exercises moms can do AT HOME.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.