Italian meets Mexican in this cheesy tasty taco inspired pasta dish. Pasta is a great cost effective way to bulk out meals for the family.
Serves 4, prep time 5 mins, cook time 25 mins
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 14 oz canned brown lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1 small red chili, sliced
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning, reduced sodium
- 2 cups water
- 14 oz canned tomatoes, diced
- 3 oz whole wheat pasta, any shape
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup plain corn chips, crushed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Greek natural yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic, lentils, chili and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the water, canned tomato and pasta. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir through the grated cheese, until melted.
- Divide taco pasta between four bowls and top each with some crushed corn chips, a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of cilantro to serve.
- Store leftovers (without corn chips) in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Add corn chips when ready to re-serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Energy 345 cals Protein 20g Fiber 10g Total Fat 12g Carbohydrates 34g Saturated Fat 4.7g Total Sugar 7.8g Free Sugar 0g