If you and your family love Asian food, you will really enjoy these delicious home made dumplings.
Get the older kids involved in the process, and you can get a little production line going if everyone is hungry.
Dumplings can be boiled, steamed or fried – this recipe boils them, meaning that you don’t need to use any extra oil or butter in the cooking process. It also produces a lovely, tender little parcel that just melts in your mouth.
Dumpling wrappers, also called wonton wrappers, pot sticker wrappers, or gyoza wrappers are often available in the produce aisle of supermarkets next to egg-roll wrappers and tofu. They also can be kept in the refrigerated section near the fresh pasta.
It’s really important to go for lean ground beef in this recipe, often the cheaper ground beef from the supermarket has a high fat content which, as well as not being an ideal choice for weight loss, can make the dumpling a little too oily.
You could crank up the ginger if you like those sorts of flavors; or if the kids aren’t into chili you can always leave that out.
You could also get creative and mix up the contents a little. There are so many options to give these your own twist.
This tasty snack can be found on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
For more healthy recipes like this (that are made for busy moms), why not join thousands of other women on our next 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 0.4 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red chili deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 packet of dumpling wrappers
- 3 shallots ends removed, finely chopped
- Over a high heat, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- In a separate frying pan or wok, heat the oil over med/high heat.
- Pop in the garlic, ginger and chili and stir for 30 seconds before adding the ground beef.
- Brown the ground beef mixture for approximately 5 mins.
- Pour in the soy and oyster sauces.
- Set aside to cool so that you can comfortably handle the mix.
- Lay out your wrappers and place 1 teaspoon of the beef mix into the center of a wrapper.
- Brush the edge with water and fold the pastry in half. Press the dumpling closed with your fingers. Repeat with remaining ground beef mixture and wrappers. If you have any ground beef left, set it aside to use when serving.
- Place 8 dumplings at a time into your pot of boiling water. Dumplings are cooked when they float to the surface (around 30 sec).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a dish while you cook the rest of the dumplings.
- Divide dumplings between serving plates. If you have any remaining beef mixture, divide it between the plates.
- Sprinkle over the chopped shallots to serve.
Serves 4 at 360 calories per serving
Some flavor combinations to try:
- ground pork with grated fennel
- ground chicken with corn kernels
- ground turkey with dried cranberries
Are you ready to become a Healthy Mommy? Access this recipe and more!
Regain your body confidence with The Healthy Mommy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Our Challenge is designed by moms FOR MOMS – to help them reach their goal weight and tackle their health and fitness.
The Challenge is home to customizable meal plans, 24/7 social support and realistic exercises moms can do AT HOME.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.