Have a happy healthy Halloween just like our moms
We asked our community to share some of their Healthy Mommy Halloween treats with us and did they deliver! If you are looking for a way to have a healthy Halloween check out some of these treats.
Have a happy healthy Halloween
Mom Cat used The Healthy Mommy 2 ingredients homemade pizza dough recipe to make this ghostly pizza with cheese as the main topping, olives as eyes and tomato as the mouth.
Mom Nikki made these ghostly gingerbread cookies with the Spicy Ginger Cookies recipe (available on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge app), using ghost cutters. They are delicious plain or use a little white icing and 2 silver balls for eyes.
Mom Nikki used the Peanut Butter Oreos recipe sent in from one of our community members – see recipe below. She left out the peanut butter from the frosting and added vanilla essence instead. Decorated with two edible eyes and some sprinkles.
Oreo Cookie Ingredients
- 1 cup plain wholewheat flour 4.1 oz
- 1/4 cup cacao 0.84 oz
- 2 tbsp coconut oil 1fl oz
- 1/4 cup maple syrup 2 fl oz
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk 2.1 fl oz
Peanut Butter Filling Ingredients
- 1/2 cup smoothie ricotta 4.23 oz
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter 1.69oz
- 1 tbsp maple syrup 0.51 fl oz
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 0.2 fl oz
- Preheat oven to 400F, and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Use a spoon to mix all the ingredients for the Oreo together, once semi mixed start using your hands to bring it all together. Once well mixed, wrap in cling wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden.
- While waiting for cookie dough to set you can make the peanut butter filling. Mix all the filling ingredients in a food processor to combine well and then put in the fridge to set.
- Get the cookie dough out the fridge, flour your bench, and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a thin cookie thickness. Using a cookie cutter (or the open end of a glass) cut out 12 circles. Depending how big your cutter or glass is, will determine how many cookies you get from the mix, but you need it to be an even number.
- Bake cookies on the lined tray in the oven for 15 minutes. Ovens can vary so just keep checking on your cookies. As they have coconut oil in them, they will not completely harden until they are fully cooled.
- Once cookies have cooled, top one with the peanut butter filling and then sandwich another cookie over the top.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week (if they last that long).
Black cat chocolate donuts and creepy crawley spider donuts
Mom Nikki used The Healthy Mommy Healthy Donut recipe then added pretzels, candy eyes, icing and other decorations to make them look like cats or spiders.
Safe to say the kids loved them, just look at their smiles!
Spicy spider web soup
Mom Nikki says all you need to do is follow the Roasted Pumpkin Soup recipe, available in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge App, and use Greek yoghurt to drizzle and make the web on top…as simple as that!
Surprise sticky pumpkin muffins
Another favorite of the kids are these surprise Sticky Pumpkin Muffins. Get the Recipe Here! Mom Nikki says “I cut out a little hole from the top and filled with greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey and popped the hat back on.”
Spiced Pumpkin waffle
Mom Nikki shared with us this pumpkin spiced fun that’s perfect for breakfast on Halloween or Thanksgiving!
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin or puree
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 egg
- Mix all the wet ingredients, gently stir in flour, spices, sugar and baking powder.
- Cook in waffle maker for approx 7 mins or time as per your waffle maker.
- Slice and serve plain or with a drizzle of honey and Greek yoghurt.
Spooky Frooty platter
Mom Cindy put together this healthy and spooky Halloween themed fruit platter that is perfect to take to any Halloween get together.
The platter includes:
- Mandarin and celery pumpkins
- Banana and raisin ghosts
- Apple & peanut butter “monsters” with almond flakes for teeth, cream cheese & currants for eyes and strawberry tongue (see below for more details)
- Apple and blueberry spider with cream cheese and currants for eyes (see below for more details)
Apple and peanut butter monsters
Whip these creepy creatures by spreading apple slices with peanut butter, use celery stick to position apple and place a strawberry slice for tongue, add almond flakes for teeth and use cream cheese and currants for eyes. It’s so simple you could even get the kids to help you!
This is another treat that’s so simple you could get the kids involved! Just cut an apple in half, thread blueberries onto toothpicks to make 8 legs and place into the apple. Finally add eyes using cream cheese and currants.
Cheese and Tomato Skully Quesadillas
Mom Cindy shares this easy to make Cheese and Tomato Skully Quesadillas in just 3 simple steps:
- Using themed cutters, cut shapes in tortillas and cheese.
- Layer the cut tortillas with a slice of tomato and the cut cheese.
- Cook in a frying pan until cheese has melted, flip to cook both sides.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Witchy fingers
Mom Cindy says “I used The Healthy Mommy Peanut Butter Cookies recipe (available in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge app), shaped them into fingers, pressed in an almond for the nail and used a knife to make details.”
“For the blood I used the chia ‘jelly’ recipe from The Healthy Mummy Peanut Butter and Jelly parfait recipe (available in the App). Once the fingers were cooked and cooled I dipped the ends into the jelly.”
Get more Tips for a Healthier Halloween here!
Get access to these recipes and more with our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
Regain your body confidence with The Healthy Mommy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Our Challenge is designed by moms FOR MOMS – to help them reach their goal weight and tackle their health and fitness.
The Challenge is home to customizable meal plans, 24/7 social support and realistic exercises moms can do AT HOME.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.