This Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is a great vegetarian dish, inspired by a classic Shepherd’s Pie, with lentils taking the place of meat.
Serves 4, prep time 5 mins, cook time 35 mins
- 28 oz canned brown lentils
- 15 oz canned tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 small sweet potatoes, diced
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse and drain lentils and combine with carrot, peas and tomatoes in a saucepan over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Add a little water if mix thickens too much.
- Meanwhile, boil the sweet potato in a saucepan until tender. Drain and mash.
- Place the lentil mix in an ovenproof dish and top with mashed sweet potato.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and is golden.
Nutritional Information Per Serving