Meal prep is a useful tool to any time poor mom wanting to lose weight and get healthy. Not only does it save you time and money but when you have as many delicious recipes as are available on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge you will want to make them all!
A few moms from our community have shared some of their favourite tips to help you get meal prepping!
40 meal prep tips from 4 real moms just like you
Mom has lost 38 lbs and kept it off
Christine, 48, Mom of 3 from Arizona has lost 38 lbs from June 2017 and has maintained ever since.
Christine says “I have been with The Healthy Mommy since June 2017 and I have lost 38 pounds and maintained this since October 2018. I am now concentrating on my fitness levels, both cardio and strength.
I’m doing the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge to keep me accountable and honest with myself. Staying on the challenges keeps me focused and on track.
I am at my goal weight, my goal now is to increase my cardio and strength.”
Christine’s 10 tips for other moms
- When making snacks that freeze, do a double portion so you have a freezer stash.
- Before planning your meals for the week, check the freezer stash and use anything that needs using up.
- Look for meals with the same vegetables to avoid waste.
- Buy meat in bulk and freeze what you don’t use.
- Freeze any remaining spinach and blueberries from snacks and meals for smoothies later.
- When prepping celery and carrots for snacks, put them in a container of water, they keep longer.
- Repeat snacks and breakfasts for the week, makes for less prep work.
- Make two days worth of dinner and have the left overs for lunch.
- Replace similar vegetables in recipes for ones that are on special.
- Make a shopping list and stick to it, if it’s not there you don’t need it.
Cowboy chilli double batch
Mom has lost 10 lbs but says she has gained so much more
Robyn, 35 busy mom of 2 girls from New York has lost 10 lbs following The Healthy Mommy.
Robyn says “I have 10 lbs but gained so much more about how to fuel my body correctly!
I have seen so many results since I started my journey in May – confidence, energy, strength, stamina, and dedication to my own well being.”
Robyn’s ten tips for meal prepping
- Plan my meals with meat that’s on sale for the week
- Repeat snacks
- Repeat breakfast
- Look at recipes that use items you have or that are in season
- Plan portions
- Freeze berries
- Order groceries online for pick up
- Shop at Aldi
- Use the app to make sure you have all items – so you don’t forget / or another trip to the store
- Freeze your leftovers for lunch the following week
Blueberry coconut and oatmeal muffins
Mom gains confidence, self worth and how to properly fuel her body
Kate, 35 mom of two boys, ages 5.5 and 3.5 located in Las Vegas, NV has lost 11 lbs, 1 pants size and 11 inches
Kate says “Since joining The Healthy Mommy I’ve gained confidence, self worth and a new understanding of how to properly fuel my body.
I’ve joined The Healthy Mommy because I wanted to change my relationship with food. The Healthy Mommy has shown me, in such a short amount of time, how to properly fuel my body.
It has shown me that I don’t have to limit a food group from my meal plan, that I don’t have to give up chocolate or delicious snacks. That I don’t have to give up pasta or fruit. I don’t have to give up anything! Instead, I eat healthy versions of what I love.”
Kate’s top 10 tips to meal prep
- Swap my weekly meals based on what is already in the house or on sale
- Repeat breakfasts, snacks and lunches throughout the week to cut down on prep and grocery bill
- Double up on meals that freeze well to add to the freezer stash
- Buy in bulk on things you use regularly or shop around for the best deals
- Use frozen fruits and veggies if they’re not in season fresh
- Freeze fruit or veggies that you don’t think you’ll use before they go bad (you can use them frozen later)
- Order online for pickup if you’re in a pinch
- Use dinner leftovers for lunch the next day
- Plan a meal a week to be leftovers
- Don’t deprive yourself…make delicious snacks from the app that involve your favorite foods like chocolate
Snickers Protein balls
Mom loves food and found a way to enjoy it but still be healthy
Mom Emma has been following the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges from September 2017 and has lost 20 lbs.
Emma says “I am doing the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge because I love food. I wanted to find healthy way to feed my very active children and be a great role model for them.
Aside from the weight loss I have had I have noticed that I am not getting if any at all adult pimples.”
Emma’s top tips for meal prep
- Set a time to sit down and spend 15 minutes looking over the weekly plans
- Stick to a similar meat for the week so that you can buy it in bulk portions.
- Repeat simple snacks during the week (tomato and cheese on crackers)
- Find no bake snacks that you like so that you are not ‘cooking ‘ all day.
- Make use of local farmers markets (go with friends or family to buy bulk and save).
- Have a look in your cupboards and fridge before you meal plan (this should be number 1)
- Freeze old bananas and leftover berries for baking
- Cook double batches of family favorite meals so that you have a freezer stash for those nights when you just don’t feel like cooking.
- Have staples like brown rice, flour, eggs in the house so that you have some quick meal options eg fried rice
- Don’t be afraid to try simple meals because they are sometimes the best.
Mini ham, spinach and Feta muffins
Choc chip muffins
Are you ready to kick-start your weight loss?
If you are interested in kickstarting your weight loss and want to improve your energy – not to mention – improve your overall health and wellbeing – our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is an awesome program to check out.
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans (including a 7 day cleanse)
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes!