This Mexican Lasagna tastes even better the next day so it can be prepared ahead of time. It also freezes well if there are any leftovers.
This recipe is from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and shows just how easy it can be to prepare healthy nourishing meals for the whole family.
Serves 4, prep time 15 mins, cook time 40 mins
- 2 yellow onions, finely diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 14 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 oz taco seasoning, reduced sodium
- cooking oil spray
- 5 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup extra light sour cream
- 4 oz reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for a couple of minutes, then add 1 tablespoon water (this takes away the need for any added oil) and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, and water has evaporated.
- Increase the heat to high and add the ground beef. Cook, stirring, until there are no lumps and beef is brown.
- Add carrot, pepper, red kidney beans, diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Stir and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Lightly spray an oven safe dish or springform cake tin with cooking spray. Layer the dish or tin with a tortilla, then some of the meat mixture, and continue layering until you’ve used up all the tortillas and meat mixture, finish with a tortilla on top.
- Spread over sour cream and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing into four pieces and serving. You could serve with a simple side salad if you like.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Energy 505 cals Protein 38g Fiber 14.5g Total Fat 15g Carbohydrates 45.3g Saturated Fat 7.1g Total Sugar 14.7g Free Sugar 1.7g
Are you ready to be a Healthy Mommy?
Regain your body confidence with The Healthy Mommy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Our Challenge is designed by moms FOR MOMS – to help them reach their goal weight and tackle their health and fitness.
The Challenge is home to customizable meal plans, 24/7 social support and realistic exercises moms can do AT HOME.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.