Delicious and Healthy Iced Cinnamon Scrolls – Half the Calories of Bakery Scrolls
A delicious, and HEALTHY version of those cinnamon scrolls you often see at the bakery.
At just 67 calories each, these scrolls are great to use in conjunction with the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. This recipe has been sent in by one of our readers and makes 16 serves.
Why not whip up a batch to add to lunch boxes or as a sweet treat for morning tea?
- cooking oil spray
- 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat Greek natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp light cream cheese
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Line an oven tray with parchment paper then spray paper lightly with cooking oil. Set tray aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/3 cup of the coconut sugar with the cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour and yoghurt with a spoon until a ball forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the yoghurt dough for 30 seconds. If dough is too sticky, add a little more flour and continue kneading.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough out in a large rectangle about 11 inches x 7 inches.
- Brush melted coconut oil over the dough evenly, then sprinkle the pre-prepared cinnamon sugar over the top.
- Using your palm, press the sugar into the dough gently.
- Roll up the dough at the longest side so that you end up with a long dough roll.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 16 pieces. Place pieces onto the lined baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden underneath.
- Whilst scrolls are baking, place remaining coconut sugar in a food processor and process until a fine powder forms, like icing sugar.
- Add cream cheese, softened butter and vanilla to the coconut icing sugar and blend until well combined.
- Remove scrolls from the oven and spread a teaspoon of the icing over each scroll while they are still warm.
- 1 scroll is 1 serve. Store remaining scrolls in an airtight container in the pantry for a couple of days or freeze individually to defrost when you want to serve another time.
67 calories per serve
Want more sweet treats and baking recipes like this? Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is packed with delicious ideas that can be enjoyed as part of a healthy lifestyle.