Spicy foods that contain ingredients like chili are good to include in your healthy eating plan when you want to lose weight.
Foods like red chilis, jalapenos and cayenne pepper increase the body’s fat-burning ability, ramping up the metabolism and heating the body during cooler weather – and you will find lots of yummy healthy recipes on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges.
This recipe for Spicy Stuffed Bell Peppers is an easy-to-prepare meal perfect to add to a BBQ, especially in Summer.
Filled with fiber, antioxidants, iron, vitamin c and protein, this low calorie meal delivers many nutritional benefits at the same time as being incredibly tasty!
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced finely
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 meadow mushroom diced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large red bell pepper cut in half and deseeded
- 1 large yellow bell pepper cut in half and deseeded
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 sprig of fresh dill
- Use lean pork, or turkey instead of the ground beef
- Replace the chili flakes with fresh chopped chili
- Use green bell peppers instead, green bell peppers are usually cheaper too
- Replace the dill with fresh basil or dried oregano
- Choose to serve alongside a side salad or steamed green beans
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the ground beef, chili flakes and cayenne pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the ground beef is browned.
- Add in chopped mushroom and cook until all the ingredients are cooked.
- Remove the ground beef from the heat, and stuff the hollowed out bell peppers with the beef mixture.
- Scatter some dill on top, then top with cheese.
- Place the bell peppers on baking tray or dish, and cook in a preheated oven at 375°F for 20 minutes, until the cheese has browned and the bell pepper is cooked.
Serves 2 at 390 calories per serving
Are you ready to become a Healthy Mommy? Access this recipe and more!
Regain your body confidence with The Healthy Mommy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Our Challenge is designed by moms FOR MOMS – to help them reach their goal weight and tackle their health and fitness.
The Challenge is home to customizable meal plans, 24/7 social support and realistic exercises moms can do AT HOME.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.