Swap these ingredients to lose weight FAST
Hi! My name is Rhian and as well as being a busy mom of two boys, I am also the founder of The Healthy Mommy – and you can read about how The Healthy Mommy Began.
As a busy mom of two, I know how easy it can be to go overboard with your daily calorie requirements! You think you’re being healthy and making great 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge meals but the weight isn’t shifting.
At The Healthy Mommy we 100% focus on education around health and weight loss and I really wanted to show how by following our healthy recipes and meal plans can significantly reduce your calorie intake – WITHOUT compromising on taste.
And as well as tasting great this approach WORKS for healthy weight loss. Moms have lost over 6 million pounds on our plans and it is because our plan is balanced, sensible, sustainable and affordable. (Check out Sarah Maynard’s results after losing 99 pounds with us – and scroll below the recipes to see even more MEGA inspo!)
So today, I’m going to show you how just a few SMALL changes can overhaul your meals and further your weight loss!
When it comes to making meals and you’re trying your best to make everyone in the family happy, sometimes you may not realise the portions are too large or you use ingredients that could be swapped with healthier options.
Small changes like this that moms can do can really change the nutritional details and calories in the meals you’re eating, and can give you more of an opportunity to enable you to reach your weight loss goals.
This is where our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge comes in handy. Healthy, nutritionally planned and portioned meals from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge ensure you’re on track with your energy requirements, vitamins and minerals to reach your goals.
Below I have laid out 7 comparisons of Healthy Mommy 28 Day Challenge meals versus the same meal made with different ingredients and quantities – so you can see how SMALL changes can make a HUGE difference!
These recipes may look very similar but look closely and then see the difference in calories, you’ll be blown away at how easy it actually is to increase your calories without even realising.
All of these recipes are from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and the recipe hub so you can easily make for you and your family.
1. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Chicken Schnitzel Fingers with Sweet Potato Wedges (356cals)
How did the calories increase on the 623 calorie serve?
This served 4
- increased chicken to 800g (4x 200g breasts),
- swapped sweet potato to 480g white potato (4 medium),
- swapped yoghurt to store bought lemon aioli 260g,
- swapped homemade wholemeal breadcrumbs to white store bought breadcrumbs,
- increased oil to 2 Tbsp
2. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Creamy Mushroom & Bacon Ravioli (328cals)
How did the calories increase on the 797 calorie serve?
For 1 serve
- increased to 6.6oz beef ravioli,
- used 100ml regular fat thickened cream not reduced-fat
- increased to 2 rashers bacon,
- increased to 2 tsp olive oil
3. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Greek Beef Burgers (387cals)
How did the calories increase on the 690 calorie serve?
For 1 serve
- increased to 4.24 oz ground beef per serve,
- changed wholewheat bread roll to 1 medium Turkish bread roll,
- added 1 tsp butter to the roll
- increased feta in the burger patty to 5 tsp
- added 1 slice regular fat cheddar cheese (.7 oz) to the burger fillings
4. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Mexican Lasagne (505cals)
How did the calories increase on the 932 calorie serve?
For the 4 serves
- increased mince to 28.2 oz
- increased kidney beans to 14.1oz,
- used full fat sour cream not light,
- used full fat cheese
- added 8.8oz white sauce (store bought white sauce)
Make this Mexican Lasagne recipe
- lean ground beef mince (14.0 oz)
- canned kidney beans (14.0 oz)
- 2 medium carrot
- 2 Spanish onion
- 1 red pepper
- canned tomatoes (14.0 oz)
- 1/3 cup taco seasoning, sodium reduced
- cooking oil spray
- 5 wholemeal tortillas
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream (130 grams)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- Preheat the oven to 350. Finely dice the onion, grate the carrot, finely chop the red pepper, drain and rinse the kidney beans and grate the cheese.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté diced onion for a couple of minutes, then add 1 tablespoon water (this takes away the need for any added oil) and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, and water has evaporated.
- Increase the heat to high and add ground beef.
- Cook, stirring, until there are no lumps and the beef has browned.
- Add grated carrot, chopped peppers, red kidney beans, diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Stir and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Lightly spray an oven safe dish or springform cake pan with cooking spray.
- Layer the dish with a tortilla, then some of the meat mixture, and continue layering until you’ve used up all the tortillas and meat mixture, finish with a tortilla on top. Spread over sour cream and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Supreme Pizza (440cals)
How did the calories increase on the 836 calorie serve?
For 1 serve
- changed to a regular storebought pizza base (5.8oz) instead of pita bread
- increased to 1.4 oz ham,
- increased to 1.4 oz salami,
- increased to 1.4 oz mozzarella.
6. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Cherry Choc Bites (131cals)
How did the calories increase on the 314 calorie serve?
For original ingredient amounts to serve 10
- change dark choc to 5.3 oz milk choc,
- increased shredded coconut to 2/3 cup
- omitted chia seeds,
- changed portion to 6 serves instead of 10, so portion size is larger
Make this Cherry Choc Bites recipe
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries (7.0 oz)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- dark chocolate (70%) (2.12 0z)
- 4 tsp coconut flour (10 grams)
- If using frozen cherries, allow them to defrost and drain off any excess moisture. Pit cherries before use.
- Place all ingredients except the chocolate and coconut flour into a food processor and blitz until well combined. Some small lumps of cherry are fine and add to the texture of the slice.
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper and spoon mixture in, smoothing it with a spatula or back of a spoon. Put the pan in the fridge while you melt the chocolate.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt in a small bowl or jug over a saucepan of boiling water, stirring occasionally. Once it is completely melted, pour the chocolate over the cherry mixture and tilt the pan to get a thin, even coat of chocolate. Return the pan to the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- When ready, dust a chopping board liberally with the coconut flour, and place the slice onto the board. This will give it a slightly cakey base.
- Cut the slice with a hot knife into 10 equal pieces. 1 piece is 1 serve.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
7. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Creamy Passionfruit & Mango Popsicles (100 cals)
How did the calories increase on the 217 calorie serve?
For 6 serves
- Omitted tofu and swapped for 7 oz full fat vanilla yogurt,
- Omitted almond milk and swapped for 1 cup full fat thickened cream,
- Increased maple syrup to 3 tbsp
Make this Popsicle recipe
- silken tofu (5.0 oz)
- 1 mango
- 1 cup passionfruit pulp
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Peel and chop mango (use frozen if you can’t get a fresh one). Add all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour mix into 6 ice lolly moulds and freeze overnight until firm.
- 1 popsicle is 1 serve.
To access all The Healthy Mommy recipes take part in the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge here – which is used by 100,000’s of moms EVERY DAY!!
Results from moms using The Healthy Mommy Plans
Amy has gone on to lose 70 lbs! Starting at 210 lbs, she now weighs just over 126 lbs, something she hasn’t weighed since she was 10 years old she says.
“If you’re consistent the result will come. It won’t be overnight, you’ll have to be patient, but consistency will get you there in the end,” Amy says.
“Look at that smile ladies, I lost 42lbs* with The Healthy Mommy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges and gained a bucket load of body confidence. I still shock myself that I have managed to do this all while working, running a business and managing a 21-month-old breastfed monkey…
“Previously I struggled with time management, prepping, healthy recipes without babies. I made lots of excuses. I drunk lots of energy drinks and I got up just before the alarm for work.. not anymore x
With The Healthy Mommy they have really simplified it for me, made it easy for busy people like me.
I’m forever in awe of the Healthy Mommy APP on my device that literally changed my mind and thinking”.
Kerrie has lost 36.4 lbs and dropped 3 dress sizes (from 12 – 14 to 6) by following The Healthy Mommy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenges and exercises on the App.
“I am now lighter, smaller, healthier and fitter than I was in my 20’s and 30’s,” says 48-year-old old mom of two, Kerrie O’Brien.
Feeling fabulous at 48, Kerrie says she is looking forward to confidently wearing a swimsuit this summer for the first time in 10 years. Something she admits she never thought she would say!
“I always used to sit on the sidelines in summer, because I didn’t feel confident enough to wear swim suit in public. Now I definitely do!”
Are you ready to kick-start your weight loss?
Want to shift your baby weight but feel like you have NO TIME in your day to exercise and eat healthily? That’s where the Healthy Mommy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge can help.
Our Challenge entails:
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy moms – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels.
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes.
PLUS – connect with THOUSANDS of other moms on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge by joining our free support community here