This Texas Style Slow Cooked Beef with Onion Rings recipe requires some overnight prep and long slow cooking in the oven or a slow cooker. The wait is absolutely worth it when you can use a cheaper cut of meat and end up with the richly delicious, budget friendly result.
You find this recipe and many more just like it in our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge recipe hub.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 8 hours
Ingredients (Makes 6 servings)
- 3 brown onions, peeled
- 1 tsp Stevia
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 7 lbs of canned tomatoes
- 1 small red chili, sliced
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup liquid beef stock, salt reduced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1.8 lbs beef brisket
- 3 slices of wholegrain or gluten-free bread of choice
- 1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups green beans, trimmed
- Cut the onions into 1/2 inch rings. Carefully press out each circle into hollow rings. Set aside 18 of the large rings in an airtight container in fridge until ready to make the rings.
- In a blender combine Stevia, paprika, tinned tomato, chili, vinegar, fresh garlic, beef stock and Worcestershire sauce with the remaining onion. Blend until smooth and rub all over the beef brisket. Cover and marinate in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 390°F and place the brisket in a baking tray, cover, and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, reduce the oven to 320°F and cook the beef for 8 hours, basting it in the cooking juices every now and then. Add a further 1/2 cup of beef stock if the liquid level gets too low. You can also cook in a slow cooker on low heat for 8 hours, if you have one.
- Prepare the onion rings about 30 minutes before the beef is ready. Toast the bread in a toaster, cool completely, then blend in a food processor until chunky breadcrumbs are formed.
- Combine flour with milk, curry powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip the pre-sliced onion rings into the flour batter then press into the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Increase the oven to 425°F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the coated onion rings on the tray and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven again to 320°F and cook the onion rings for a further 15 minutes until golden and crispy and the beef is ready.
- Steam the green beans on the stovetop or in the microwave until tender crisp.
- Slice the brisket into 6 portions, serve with steamed green beans and onion rings on the side.
Makes 6 serves at 354 calories per serving
Access this recipe and more!
Regain your body confidence with The Healthy Mommy’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
Our Challenge is designed by moms FOR MOMS – to help them reach their goal weight and tackle their health and fitness.
The Challenge is home to customizable meal plans, 24/7 social support and realistic exercises moms can do AT HOME.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.