As the colder months are now here why not stock up on our healthy mommy pick of the Top Ten Winter Foods to help you lose weight and feel fantastic this winter due to the high nutrient content – plus they taste pretty good too!
Top Ten Winter Foods
1. Broccoli is one of the most nutritious vegetables, jam-packed with vitamin C, vitamin A (mostly as beta-carotene), calcium and fibre. While the calcium content of one serving doesn’t equal that of a serve of milk, broccoli is an important calcium source for those who don’t consume dairy products.
2. Oranges These juicy gems contain almost twice your recommended daily dose of vitamin C, which may help ease the symptoms of the common cold. It also helps the absorption of iron and zinc in other foods.
3. Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which is converted in the body to vitamin A. Vitamin A helps with night vision and also benefits the skin.
4. Apples are the ultimate portable snack. They contain filling fibre, to slow down stomach emptying, and they stabilise blood sugar levels – two key factors for managing your weight.
5. Spinach is a good source of iron, which is needed to deliver oxygen around the body. It’s also an excellent source of fibre and contains few kilojoules. Best of all, it’s a versatile food that can be added to almost any dish.
6. Cauliflower is not only a rich source of the potent antioxidant vitamin C, it’s also rich in vitamin K, which helps to prevent chronic inflammation that leads to conditions such as arthritis.
7. Celery contains primarily water and fibre, and is low in kilojoules, making it a perfect weight-loss food. It’s also a natural diuretic, so is very helpful in flushing excess water weight and toxins from your body.
8. Artichokes are an excellent source of fibre. Not only is fibre important for digestive health, but research shows that foods high in fibre stimulate anti-hunger hormones, which send messages to the brain that the stomach is full and it is time to stop eating.
9. Bananas are abundant in potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function.
10. Beetroot is jam-packed with health-promoting antioxidants that help protect cells from free-radical damage, lowering the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
Get your fill of winter warmers as part of the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge
Winter is here! If you are wanting to take advanced of this ‘fat burning season’, then why not jump on board with The Healthy Mommy and join our 28 Day Weight Loss Winter Challenge.
Think of the challenge as the best value personal trainer, dietician, meal planner, chef and motivational coach that you have access to every day – without the high cost and all created JUST FOR MOMS.
Every month is DIFFERENT with NEW recipes added each month. EVERY MONTH you receive 28 Days of FAMILY FRIENDLY customisable meal plans, daily exercise plans and daily support.