Create a weight loss motivation board in 7 easy steps
Are you trying to lose weight and improve your fitness but are lacking a little motivation? If so, a weight loss motivation board may be just what you need.
Sometimes we need a visual reminder to help us stay focused on our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge journey.
The wonderful moms in the Healthy Mommy Facebook community have been busy creating their own boards which we are excited to share with you along with our 7 step process for creating a weight loss motivation board that works.
How to create a weight loss motivation board
1. Visualize yourself at your goal weight
Start off by visualizing yourself at your goal weight. Ask yourself:
- How does it feel?
- Who are you doing this for and why?
- What makes you happy?
- What will your life be like when you have achieved your goals?
This will put you a positive frame of mind for this activity.
2. Look for motivation boards that inspire you
- There is no right or wrong way to create your motivation board.
- Your weight loss motivation board should ‘speak to you’. It should be a reflection of your own personality and your own goals.
- How much or how little you include on your board is entirely up to you.
3. Gather images of things that make you happy
Think about what gets you motivated and happy and start gathering these items. This could include:
- Pictures of your kids, family, wedding day, you at your goal weight.
- Inspirational quotes.
A picture of someone of similar size, whose body you admire. (No point pinning a picture of a catwalk model if you are 5ft tall).
Be realistic! Choose role models who look healthy and whose bodies or elements of their body, you could achieve)
- Calendar or countdown chart.
- Health or fitness goals (e.g. aim to run 5 miles, aim to do 30 push-ups in 1 minute).
- List or illustrations of exercises you wish to do every day.
- Pictures of a dress you wish to fit into (you could also hang an item of clothing up next to your board).
- Reward or mini rewards for when you reach your weight milestones or goal weight.
4. Gather your supplies
- Choose what material you want for your board and where you might like to hang it as this will determine your size. Popular options for boards are colored cardboard, corkboards, or whiteboards. If you want a board that you can easily update, a whiteboard or corkboard is a good choice.
- Think about which accessories you want to pretty up your board. These could include pegs, pins, ribbons, stickers, colored pens, crafting paper, etc.
5. Get creative and design your board
Put on some music, surround yourself with images that make you happy and get creative with glue, scissors, and pins. Remember, it doesn’t have to be perfect. You can add to it and take away from it at any time.
6. Hang your motivation board somewhere prominent
- There is no point having your weight loss motivation board tucked away where you can’t see it.
- Hang it somewhere prominent.
- It is a constant reminder of how far you have come and how close you are to achieving your goal.
- This visual reminder will help keep you focused.
7. Track your progress
- Record your progress along the way.
- Pegs are a fun visual reference to indicate pounds lost. Include two lines on your board. The top line will have the number of pegs representing the pounds that you aim to lose (see above). The bottom line will indicate how many pounds you have lost. Other moms have created jars with gems in them to track their progress. Find a method that suits you.
- Cross out each day that you complete your exercises.
- Give yourself mini (non-food related) rewards for meeting milestones. This could be a night at the movies, getting your nails done, buying some new running shoes.
Now you should be well on your way to reaching your goals!
Thanks to all the wonderful moms at the Healthy Mommy community for sharing their motivation boards with us.
Are you ready to become a Healthy Mommy?
Our Challenge is designed by moms FOR MOMS – to help them reach their goal weight and tackle their health and fitness.
The Challenge is home to customizable meal plans, 24/7 social support and realistic exercises moms can do AT HOME.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge click here.
*Images and references to pounds lost are as supplied by the individual in the story. The Healthy Mommy assumes information and photographs supplied to be true in nature and is not responsible for any false misrepresentations or claims relating to their programs or products.