There’s just something about the combination of tangy citrus and salty soy that make a dish sing. This delicious sticky sesame lime and soy chicken is the perfect summer family meal.
We love a quick and easy main meal here at The Healthy Mommy and this one fits the bill perfectly. It would also make a delicious addition to your 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge meal plan.
Chicken is a quick and easy source of protein which is essential for muscle growth and healthy weight loss. We have used lean chicken breast in this recipe for all the nutrients, without the extra calories.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 green onions diced
- 2 limes
- 4 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 cups salt reduced chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast fillet
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a deep pan or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Pan fry the garlic and green onions till fragrant.
- Increase the heat to high and add the chicken to the pan, browning both sides.
- Cut the limes in half and squeeze the juice over the chicken to coat.
- Place the limes flat on the hot pan to caramelize some of the natural acids then set aside.
- Add in the honey, soy sauce, and stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from pan or wok and let it cool slightly. You can either cut it up or shred it into smaller pieces.
- Scatter sesame seeds over the top of the chicken, squeeze over the caramelized lime juice and serve with brown rice or quinoa and salad.
Serves 4 at 380 calories per serving
Many ‘sticky and salty’ recipes available at your local restaurant contain a lot of added sugar, salt and sometimes MSG. This Sticky Sesame, Lime and Soy Chicken uses natural honey, soy and sesame seeds for taste and crunch without any nasties, making this the perfect meal to enjoy on ‘takeout’ night
If you’re looking to take the guesswork out of what to have for dinner, join thousands of other moms on The Healthy Mommy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.