Hi! My name is Rhian and as well as being a busy mom of two boys, I am also the founder of The Healthy Mommy.
Are you eating healthy and still having trouble reaching your weight loss goals? I’m going to show you how just a few changes (common changes that many moms do) can really change the nutritional details and calories in the meals you’re eating and maybe that’s why you’re not reaching your weight loss goals.
Think Christmas desserts!
At The Healthy Mommy we 100% focus on education around health and weight loss and I really wanted to show how by following our healthy recipes and meal plans can significantly reduce your calorie intake – WITHOUT compromising on taste.
Healthy, nutritionally planned and portioned meals from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge ensure you’re on track with your energy requirements, vitamins and minerals to reach your goals.
Below I have laid out five Christmas dessert comparisons of Healthy Mommy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge meals versus the same dessert made with different ingredients and quantities – so you can see how SMALL changes can make a HUGE difference in COST too!
These 5 recipes are from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. Join thousands of other moms and lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way.
1.The Healthy Mommy recipe: Baked Pear Custard Tart (253 cals per serve)
Saves 151 calories
How did the calories increase on the 404 calorie serve?
- Add 1 sheet puff pastry to cook as a base first.
- Change cream to full fat thickened cream
- Add 1 tbsp melted butter into the cream mix
2.The Healthy Mommy recipe: Brandy Snap Baskets with Fruit (168 cals per serve)
Saves 116 calories
How did the calories increase on the 284 calorie serve?
- Add 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- Add 1/2 cup pure cream
- Add 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Add 1 tbsp orange juice
- Add 1/4 cup white choc chips
- Add 1 tsp brandy
Extra method: Melt choc, mix in with ricotta and orange juice and brandy. Whip cream, add sugar, fold in ricotta mix. Scoop into brandy snap baskets before topping with fruit salad.
Make this Brandy Snap Baskets with Fruit recipe
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp brandy
- 1/3 cup plain whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3 cups fresh fruit salad
- Preheat oven to 320F and line two flat baking trays with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, sugar and maple syrup and simmer over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved
- Remove saucepan from the heat and sift in the flour and ground ginger, stir through brandy. Stir until well combined. Cover and keep warm.
- Place 3 tsp of mixture onto a baking tray to form a circle. Repeat with the remaining mixture, leaving plenty of room for the snaps to spread. You should be able to make approximately 12 circles of the mixture on the trays.
- Bake for 7–8 minutes or until golden brown and bubbles have formed on the surface.
- Carefully place the circle snaps into a muffin tray to shape them into a basket while still warm. Hold in place to cool slightly, then remove when set, and place on a tray to cool completely.
- Serve 2 brandy snap baskets filled with fresh fruit salad per person.
- Leftover baskets can be stored in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 3 days.
3. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Four Ingredient Fruit Cake (273 cals per serve)
Saves 142 calories
How did the calories increase on the 415 calorie serve?
- Serve with 720g custard (60g per serve)
- Change the serves to 12 to increase the size of the portions
- Change cranberry juice to sugar
4. The Healthy Mommy recipe: No Bake Raspberry Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cheesecake (150 cals per serve)
Saves 154 calories
How did the calories increase on the 304 calorie serve?
- Change portion to 16 serves instead of 20
- Swap low fat ricotta to full fat ricotta
- Swap low fat cream cheese to full fat
- Swap sweetener for white sugar
- To the base add 4 shortbread biscuits and 2 tbsp butter
- Garnish with 160g of canned whipped cream (16 x 10g dollops)
- And 100g dark choc that is shaved into strips or melted and drizzled on top
Make this No Bake Raspberry Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cheesecake recipe
- 2 cups wheat cereal, crushed
- 1/3 cup cacao/cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 tsp powdered gelatine
- 9oz light cream cheese
- 13oz light ricotta
- 1/3 cup stevia
- 1 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted and crushed to make a sauce
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup cacao/cocoa powder
- Grease and line the base and sides of a round 8in springform cake pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor add the crushed cereal, 1/3 cup of cacao/cocoa and desiccated coconut, and pulse until a fine crumb is formed. Next, add the melted coconut oil and maple syrup and pulse again to form the base of the cheesecake.
- Spread two-thirds of the mix into the base of the pan and press out to evenly cover. With the remaining base carefully press around the sides of the tin to create an edge.
- Place in the fridge to firm up while you make the filling.
- Add the boiling water to a cup and sprinkle in the powdered gelatin. Let this sit for 5-10 minutes or until dissolved.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add the cream cheese, ricotta and Stevia and beat until smooth and the Stevia dissolves. Pour in the gelatin liquid and beat on low until combined.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly between three bowls and add the raspberry sauce to one (making sure to leave 1 tablespoon aside), the peanut butter to another and the remaining cacao/cocoa powder to the last one. Mix each one separately until the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the peanut butter layer over the chocolate base and spread to cover evenly. Evenly spread the chocolate layer over the peanut butter layer followed by the raspberry layer. Add dollops of the leftover raspberry sauce to the top of the cheesecake and marble through the top layer.
- Place the cheesecake in the fridge and chill for 6 hours or until firm.
- When serving garnish with fresh raspberries and grated chocolate.
5. The Healthy Mommy recipe: Healthy Fruit Trifle (173 cals per serve)
Saves 206 calories
How did the calories increase on the 379 calorie serve?
- All new ingredients:
- 1 x 85g packet jelly original port wine flavor made up as directed.
- 20oz vanilla custard, 400g jam sponge roll, sliced, then soaked in 3oz peach schnapps.
- 300g pure cream, whipped with 2 tbsp icing sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Same fruit and nuts as before. Layer the ingredients in a bowl.
Are you ready to become a Healthy Mommy?
Our Challenge is designed by moms FOR MOMS – to help them reach their goal weight and tackle their health and fitness.
The Challenge is home to customizable meal plans, 24/7 social support and realistic exercises moms can do AT HOME.
To find out more on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge