Here is a great one pot meal that will feed a family of 6 (or provide delicious leftovers).
And yes, even the pasta is cooked in the same pot! It’s a perfect mid-week meal that can be made in around 30 minutes.
Serves 6, prep time 10 mins, cook time 30 mins
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled & finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & grated
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1/2 small red chili, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups liquid beef stock, reduced sodium
- 1 cup red cooking wine
- ½ lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Heat the oil in a large pan (the pan needs to be big enough to hold all of the meat sauce and the spaghetti too) over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the chili (optional) and then add the zucchini and mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and brown for around 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Pour in the Worcestershire sauce, crushed tomatoes, canned tomatoes, wine and stock. Season to taste and stir to combine. Place the lid on and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add spaghetti to the pan (you may need to break the pasta in half if the pan isn’t big enough). Simmer, uncovered, for around 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked, stirring several times during the cooking time.
- Divide between 6 bowls, sprinkle each with fresh basil leaves and grated Parmesan to serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving